10/3/10

vintage: shopping guide


My girl Jessie and I, in desperate need of a vacay and some fried food, decided to pack up my little SUV and head south. Our mission was to find some great vintage shops and eat as many beignets as possible. Not only were both goals met, we also made a few friends and hung out with some lovely locals on all of our stops, discovered a drive up daiquiri stand in Louisiana, rode a steamboat down the Mississippi and guest judged at a tranny talent competition on Bourbon St.


Columbia, SC - Sid&Nancy


If you ever find yourself in South Carolina, drive to Columbia and go to Sid&Nancy! We stumbled upon this little gem purely by chance, but were so happy we did. This buy-trade-sell boutique is stocked with tons of vintage dresses, accessories and shoes. The prices are insane. I purchased a vintage black silk-charmeuse bias ruffled jumpsuit for $15, along with a mint green, robin's egg blue & white gingham sleeveless button down tie-waist blouse for $4. Sadly, what I did not purchase was a see-through plastic vinyl tortoise clutch for $15. Sid&Nancy is located in Five Points in downtown Columbia.


Charleston, SC - The Trunk Show

that is all designer vintage, my pretties


The Trunk Show is the southeastern mecca of vintage, an upscale consignment boutique with everything from high end ready-to-wear to designer vintage. Some labels we came across included vintage Dior, vintage YSL, vintage Bill Blass, DVF and Betsey Johnson. Their Chanel collection is so extensive is has it's own corner of the store. Their vintage gown and evening wear selection spans several decades. My friend and I spent a giddy couple hours flipping through racks and trying on pieces. I ended up walking away with a 1920s black and cream fringed flapper dress in perfect condition for $60, which had been dropped off at the shop two weeks prior. What I did not purchase was a vintage Dior coral and black satin trimmed peplum waist dress, priced at $700. Girl has rent to pay.


Charleston, SC - Exchange Factor

stop by and say hi to Addy


If I had to pick a favorite child a la The Good Son, Exchange Factor would totally be my Elijah Wood. Located next door to The Trunk Show, the two boutiques could not be more day and night. Comparing The Trunk Show to Exchange Factor would be like comparing Audrey Hepburn to Stevie Nicks. EF has Halloween costumes, locally made jewelry, vintage dresses, separates, outerwear, head pieces, shoes and boots at affordable prices. Plus the shopgirl Addy is adorable. We talked vintage, possible Halloween costume options and Charleston with her for awhile. What I walked away with: a vintage black taffeta off the shoulder 3/4 ruched sleeve bodice blouse with peplem waist for $12. What my homegirl Jessie did not walk away with, which I consider her greatest and only mistake of our trip: a vintage white turban.


Savannah, GA - Civvie's


Civvie's is a buy-trade-sell store, that sells new and recycled clothing. Due to the night before, I was not in top form during this day of our trip. Nonetheless, Jess found a gorgeous floral dress that she loved. What I did not buy: a vintage black beaded silk short-sleeved cocktail dress for $32.





The Paris Market is not a vintage store but perhaps the most eclectic and charming shop I've ever seen. This double level store stocks jewelry, kitchenware, personal gifts and miscellanea upstairs; beautiful furniture and homeware downstairs.




xx